tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 28 08:17:40 1998

Re: Klingon Song Project

> ghItlh Chet
>
> >> How do you get past the Viacom claim of ownership of all utterances
> >> in Klingon?
>
> 'ej ghItlh David
>
> > If this is a sanctioned project of the KLI it should be much less of a
> > problem because we would be working thru an entity that already has a
> > licenceing agreement with Paramount.
>
> This is not currently a sanctioned project of the KLI. The terms of the
> KLI's license with Paramount are painfully specific in certain areas,
> and we can not circumvent them simply by "sanctioning" a desired effort.
>
> That is not to say that we might not be able to proceed with this, but
> there are other considerations in play, some of which David knows about,
> and some of which I am not at liberty to discuss (don't you just love
> lawyers?).

Okay, perhaps a clearer outcome would be in order here.

Firstly, let us, for now, forget about collecting songs for the
purpose of publishing.....Maybe later we can do that...maybe not.

How about simply having a KSP which collects songs?!!!!
A small and simple step, is it not?

Is this step sanctionable by the KLI?
How is collecting original Klingon songs any different than the Klingon
Writing Project?

David
--
 David Barron,  [email protected] ||       Hoch lup yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course      ||       qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level