tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 25 08:27:41 1998

Re: I-us prefix

William H. Martin wrote:

> According to Holtej:
> >

> > Harlekinvo':
> >
> > > I think you got the problem - there is no prefix noted in TKD for I-us,
> > > and there is no Type 1 verb suffix workaround either.
> >
> > jIQoch.  The reason there's no I-us (or I-me, you-you (sg/pl), we-me, we-us)
> > is precisely because of the VS1 /-egh/, /-chuq/.  Sure, it doesn't convey
> > singular/plural, but for some reason that doesn't bother me.
> >
> > "I can see us (on the security monitor)"
> > jIHDaq malegh'eghlaH.
>
> This works for me, or:
>
> jIHDaq jIH tlhIH je SaleghlaH.
>
> Who are you talking to? The whole issue of person has some
> slippery edges.
>
> If we can all see ourselves in the monitor, Holtej's suggestion
> is better than yours. If I am the only one who can see "us" on
> the monitor, then, am I talking to myself? No. Am I talking to
> a first person plural? No. I'm talking to a SECOND person
> plural. I am set apart from these people because the singular
> first person is the one doing the seeing, so the singular first
> person is addressing someone who is not the singular first
> person. I suggest that the addressees are (like most
> addressees) second person.
>
> The first person plural only works when there is nothing
> setting the first person singular apart from the other members
> of the first person, like {tlhIngan maH} and {DaH maSop.} I
> don't buy the idea that "I see us" needs to be considered a
> valid statement. I see it as "I see you and me" and Klingon
> never addresses the issue of mixed persons with a conjunction.
> I go for "I-see-you and me," = {jIH tlhIH je Salegh.}
>
> > To summon charghwI''s mantra, recast, recast!
>
> You betcha.
>
> > > Harlekin
> >
> > --Holtej
>
> charghwI'

Maybe a stupid beginner's question, but does it make Klingon sense to
state that you cannot see "us" on a monitor, but solely our image? Thus
you can solve the problem by proving that it is non-existent.

About recasting: how about using the verb {Hotlh}:"project, put on
(screen))"?

jIHDaq maH Hotlhlu' 'e' vIleghlaH.

Just trying,

QomwI'