tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 15 14:47:21 1998

Re: -taHbe' v -be'taH

According to David Trimboli:

> From: Jon Brown <[email protected]>
>

> >A child is being very noisy so the father shouts:
> >
> >vav: bIchuStaH   yImev
> >
> >After stopping the child replies (as children often do):
> >
> >puq: jIchuStaHbe'
> > - I'm not continuing to be noisy.
> >
> >vav:  DaH  bImevlI'   yIchuSbe'taH
> > - Now you've stopped     Continue not being noisy!
>
> {DaH bImevlI'} means, "Now you are in the process of stopping."  "Now you
> have stopped" is {DaH bImevpu'}.

Likely {DaH bImevchoHpu'} is closer to what was intended. The
beginning of the stoppage is complete, but the stopping has not
yet stopped. {{:)>

> Furthermore, you cannot use {-be'} on an
> imperative verb.  This leads to something interesting.  The command MUST be
> {yIchuStaHQo'} "don't continuously be noisy!" because {-Qo'} must come
> between Type 8 and Type 9 suffixes.  The only other way to negate just the
> verb in an imperative is with {-Ha'}, but {-Ha'} is not simple negation.

Very interesting. Good point.

> Since something like {-Qo'} must, by necessity, negate the whole word, it is
> not inconceivable that {-be'} could do that too.

Of course, the only way to make that assumption is to ignore
everything Okrand says about {-be'} modifying the preceding
syllable, right there in TKD...

> >SUMMARY
> >
> >jIchuStaHbe'  -  I'm not continuing to be noisy.
> >
> > jIchuSbe'taH  -  I'm continuing to not be noisy.
>
> These might also be interpreted as "I am not continuously being noisy" and
> "I am continuously not being noisy," respectively.  Whether the "not
> continuously being noisy" means "discontinuously being noisy" or "not
> continuously-being-noisy" is the big question.

jIQochchu'. The latter clearly means, "I continue to not be
noisy." To interpret it as, "I am not continuously being noisy"
is to ignore the placement of {-be'}. Okrand tells us that the
placement is significant in that it modifies the preceeding root
or suffix. How can anyone argue with this? {-Qo'} creates some
interesting problems, but {-be'} does not need to inherit them.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98285.9

charghwI'

Back to archive top level