tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 14 14:24:15 1998

-taHbe' v -be'taH

I started putting pen to paper after reading KranKor's article in v6#1
(HolQeD) but didn't really get very far.  However after reading
'Around the Desk' in V7#1 I find I've got to add my penny's worth.
Regarding the latter article I'm not sure exactly where I stand as I
found with each argument put forward by WM & MS I was thinking 'Yeah
that's right'.   However, it's not about taking sides so I'll get to
my example:

A child is being very noisy so the father shouts:

vav:	bIchuStaH   yImev

After stopping the child replies (as children often do):

puq: 	jIchuStaHbe'
	- I'm not continuing to be noisy.

vav:  	DaH  bImevlI'   yIchuSbe'taH
	- Now you've stopped     Continue not being noisy!

If the child had replied simply  - jIchuSbe'  - it could have been
considered a lie as although the child had stopped and therefore
wasn't making any noise, there was no expressed aspect, leaving the
statement open.  However if the child had replied  -  jIchuSbe'taH  -
it would clearly be a lie and considered a challenge of the fathers
honour.   However, the latter statement might have been an acceptable
challenge IF the child had continued the noise and was arguing that
the level of noise was not what he considered to 'be noisy'.   As
he/she had realised they were in the wrong they said   -
jIchuStaHbe'   -  thereby making a true statement that they weren't
making any noise but not admitting that they were making any in the
first place (as is the way with kids). i.e. that statement could be
used whether you had been making a noise or not.

SUMMARY

jIchuStaHbe'  -  I'm not continuing to be noisy.

 jIchuSbe'taH  -  I'm continuing to not be noisy.

I hope I've managed to express my thoughts without confusing anyone. I
just hope they are of some value to the discussion.

Before I do go I'll just say I have similar views regarding   -'eghbe'
 and  -be''egh but I'll get to that another time.

qe'San