tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 14 10:57:24 1998

Top Gun reply to KLBC

Qov responds;

	You do not understand the SAO construction.  The word {'e'} is a 	pronoun
 that represents the immediately preceding sentence when that 	sentence acts as
 the object of the next verb.  SENTENCE as OBJECT.  	This is its ONLY use.  It
 does not ever mean "them."

I understand it a little.  When I looked up the superlative construction in
 the TKD all the law’/puS examples were sentences.  So I thought that the
 law’/puS construction was a sentence.  Now given that, ‘e’ in the second
 sentence dose not mean “them” it means “that”.  So in English the two
 sentences are like;

“These guys are the best.  Iceman is better than that.”

I meant the first sentence to be an object.  Now the law’/puS may be special
 but there is nothing that says you can’t use pronouns with it.  You say that
 po’ is intransitive and takes no object but the law’/puS makes the verb act
 like a comparative. Two different things are being compared; X is better than
 Y.  X is the subject and Y is an object(a prepositional object). So maybe 'e'
 can't be used as a prepositional object but that's why I was asking for the
 BG's help.  Or maybe the law'/puS construction is two sentences in Klingon and
 I know 'e' can't refer to more than one sentence.

Oh well, now that I have explained myself; I’m off to write my five sentences.

qatlho’
tIm

Back to archive top level