tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 08 07:37:16 1998

Re: Hi All!

---John May <[email protected]> wrote:

> New to the list etc.
> I joined the list because of a facsination with people who take
their hobby
> so seriously it becomes a lifestyle or almost a way of life (Way of
the
> Warrior?) I have had dealings with the Tolkien society in the UK and
met
> people who use the Dark Speech of Mordor or talk Elvish. Wonderfull
people!
> Inspite of not having this passion myself, those who do interest me.
> Could you answer a couple of questions for me?
> Is Klingon language structured/complete enough to interact at length
> conversationally or is it restricted to the small vocabulary gleaned
from ST
> films and series?
No way!!!  There are a couple books out there that have both Klingon
Words and Phrases. There are two tapes that I know of, Conversational
Klingon and Power Klingon and then a Klingon CD-Rom game that not only
has a game, but a language Lab to help you with insults and the like.

> Are there many people who can do this if it is indeed possible?
Before I joined this list, I thought that there was hardly anybody who
like klingon, let alone could speak it fluently. But from what I have
seen on this list, there are quite a few who can at least type
klingon. I can speak quite a few words, but typing them is a totally
different story.

 I wont be so crass as to ask why you do it, but was it an instant
thing due
> to interest in language/s or did it develop as a progression from Trek
> related pursuits generaly?
Well, my reason for wanting to learn more about Klingon is probably a
silly one. Sillier than a bunch of the rest, but I went into a chat
str Trek chat room as B'Elanna from Voyager and all the people there
were saying things like Qapla' to me and I'm like "sure, ok. Yeah."
and then, not being a fan of the originial series or it's movies, i
didn't even know what Praxis was untill my mom told me!!!

> I am an avid Trek, and more recently Voyager devotee and can see
where the
> compulsion comes from. In my youthful, acid clouded, (visionary)
days, LIVED
> in the Middle Earth with The Hobbits, Gandalf et al. So I am no
stranger to
> different worlds.
> Another question. Are you mainly young people? My yardstick is my
own age of
> forty'ish, and are your familys, children(?) as interested as
yourselves?
I'm probably one of the youngest on this list at 13. My mom and dad
are both major trekkers and have been since the Original series, but
niether is very interested in Klingon.

> Now for a good bit for you to show off your skills:
> Anyone give me a few phrases to impress my friends with? Simple
stuff with
> pronunciation please! How about: Hello (is there an equivalent?)
Goodbye,
> and maybe a few choice insults. I realy like the Vulcan "Live long and
> prosper"_"Peace and long life". No direct equvalent here I'm sure
but is
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam--It is a Good Day to die (don't ask me how to
pronounce this, I got it from a book, but it is probably one of the
most popular Klingon Sayings)

Well, I know it's not much, but I hope this helps ya' a little bit!!!
Qapla'! (success)