tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 13:42:05 1998

RE: veS bom

mu' QujwI' writes:

> Here's My entry. This is also my third entry, and I hope for once I
> dindn't make any mistakes

> mu'oy'chugh Ho''oy',
> vaj HIHoy'.
>
> If the toothache hurts me,
> congruatulate me.

Slight problem with the first version.  You have the word order and
your prefixes all right, but {'oy'} means "hurt" as in "be sore" not
as in hurting someone else.  For that idea you need to add {-moH}:
{mu'oy'moH} "it hurts me."  You have to pick this out from the fact
that the definition is "hurt, be sore" not "hurt, injure."   For some
words we only know the proper usage from canon examples.

> Do' 'oy' Ho''oy'.
> vaj HIHoy'

This version works perfectly.  majQa'.  qaHoy'.

Qov

Back to archive top level