tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 05 01:12:56 1998

Re: Okrand: DIrmey pagh DIrDu' (fwd)

In a message dated 98-03-23 11:43:54 EST, Voragh writes:

<< Well, it seems that ghunchu'wI' (Alan) and I are both right as to the
 "correct" plural of {DIr} - like many things, it seems to depend on your
 point of view. I love it when it works out like this! And in the bargain,
 we get a bit more insight into how plurality works in Klingon.  >>

Perhaps {DIr} is like {lom}.  If the skin is on a living being, still fully
intact, and there is reason to talk about there being more than one such skin,
{DIrDu'} works.  OTOH, skins which are detached, dead, or otherwise no longer
an integral part of a living being could well be {DIrmey}.

peHruS

Back to archive top level