tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 16 16:59:38 1997

Names

ghItlh Brenda:

>Another Question.... Do Klingon Names Have Meanin's behind.....and If
>So....is M'Sa'la ...OK For A Name ? (one I came up with....5 yrs
ago...that
>sounded "Klingon") and Anyone Got a Suggestion for A Name ?

See Qov's recent post on the phonetics of Klingon. This name isn't wrong,
but it isn't a true Okrandian-type Klingon name. maSa'la would fit the
phonetics, though. Does it match your intended pronunciation? If so, you
might like it. But the choice is yours, of course.

This list's FAQ at http://labs.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm covers
names in detail. But in brief - (1) Call yourself whatever you want (2) You
might want to see if your name has a meaning - ask charghwI', whose name
means "conqueror". Leaving out the *gh* gives you charwI', "slimy one". I'd
guess vIp, the 'afraid' verb suffix, is found in no Klingon names. Sa'
means "General" - but maSa'la means nothing in particular, it's a unique
word. I'd consider it a fine name.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level