tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 14:23:33 1997

Re: KLBC: vulqanganpu'

At 01:24 PM 9/15/97 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
>*greet*DI' vulqanganpu' jatlh chaH:

How about {ghomchuqDI'}?

><poH law' yIyIn 'ej yIchep>

Your sentence is an order.  The original greeting is more like a wish that
it be true, no?  We have a suffix to express wishes.  We also don't have any
evidence that {yIn} takes as an object the length of time that one lives.  I
use:

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchupjaj

Marc Okrand has translated it differently in an article that I am sure
someone will post in follow up.

>Doch vIQIjbogh Dayaj 'e' vItul.

vIyajbej.

>chaq Qagh law' vIghItlhpu' 'ach neH DaH bIghojlaH.

{neH} doesn't make sense before the adverb there. I assume you are trying to
say something like "but that's how you learn."  Perhaps: {jIghojmeH jIQaghnIS}

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level