tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 31 20:00:59 1997

Re: KLBC:Hypothetical sentences

At 11:13 97-10-29 -0800, maS wrote:
}Is there a way in tlhIngan Hol to express a hypothetical idea, such as the
}ones expressed by 'would' in Federation Standard?

Not a specific one-for-one method.  Klingons by all accounts aren't very
concerned with what might be or have been, and it's conceivable they just
don't have a subjunctive, the way we don't distingush specifically
intentional perfectives.

}For example, I can't seem to find a way to say:
}'I would go to Chronos, if I had a starship."

You can translate this as:
If I have/will have/had a starship, I go/will go/went to Kronos.
'ejDo' vIghajchugh Qo'noS vIghoS
OR
Because I don't have a starship, I'm not going to Kronos.
'ejDo' vIghajbe'mo' Qo'noS vIghoSbe'.
OR
Qo'noS vIghoS vIneH 'ach 'ejDo' vIHutlhmo' vIta'laHbe'.

}Maybe I'm just overlooking something in TKD.  Or maybe it's in KGT, which
}I haven't gotten yet.  nuqDaq 'oH?

vay' wIHutlhbejbogh Datu' 'ach chaq ram 'oH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level