tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 13 22:08:20 1997

Enduring pain

[email protected] on behalf of Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> jIvIngbe'. jIbepbe'. jImIy! ('ach chaq qaq mIybe'ghach.)

This reminds me of the "It is difficult to endure the pain" thread.  All of
the suggested translations so far seem to fall short.  For example, {'oy'
vISIQmeH Qatlh} says "For the purpose of me enduring the pain, it is
difficult."  For one thing, "it" doesn't really mean anything here; there is
no reasonable subject, though there needs to be.  Also, it says that being
difficult is done with the purpose of my enduring the pain, which is not the
case.

This is where {-ghach} comes in truly handy:

Qatlh 'oy' SIQlI'ghachwIj
My process of pain endurance is difficult.

This would be used in situations where the pain is being endured for some end,
say a Right of Ascension.  Other verb suffixes would be used inside the
{-ghach} noun as appropriate to the situation.

SuStel
Stardate 97785.4

Back to archive top level