tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 07 20:51:35 1997

Re: KBLC: jIparHa' yuch

At 22:42 97-10-03 -0700, QatanI wrote:

}vIbang Qa'Hommey Hubbe'
}I love little animals defenseless

Look up {bang} again.  It's a noun meaning "love, beloved" as in "She is my
love."  In Klingon word order is more important than in English.  Read
through chapter six on syntax and see the rules for where parts of a
sentence can go.

Write what you want to say here in correct, simple English, then break it
into simple Klingon sentences, then see if you can figure out how to relate
the parts.

}vISop qatlh'e'
}that's why I eat them

In Klingon {qatlh} is just a question word.  It can't be used to mean "the
reason that."  You could say: "Because of that reason I eat them."

{meqvetlhmo' vISop}  The noun {meq}, "reason" has the noun suffix {-vetlh}
making it "that reason" and the noun suffix {-mo'} making it "because of
that reason."

}wovvetlh 'och HeH pu'wov
}The light at the end of the tunnel is a phaser flash

You're starting to get this, you just keep attacking sentences that are more
complex than you think.  {'och HeH} is good for "end of the tunnel."  But
check {wov} again, it's a verb. It means "be light."  You could say "The
light thing at the end of the tunnel is a phaser beam."  Look at section 6.3
to see how to say something "is" something else, and at {-Daq} in section
3.3.5 to see how to say "at the end of the tunnel."  Word order is very
importnat here.

}chay' tlhIngan HolwI' ?

The noun suffix {-wI'} is reserved for nouns that themselves are beings
capable of speech.  Even though {Hol} is undoubtedly related to language
speakers, it isn't one, so "my language" is {HolwIj}. Also, this sentence no
verb. I suggest:

chay' tlhetlh tlhIngan HolwIj?

Look up {tlhetlh} to see if you think it's appropriate.  The answer to your
question is {tlhetlhbej!}.  I'm finding out how differnt people learn, and
not to get frustrated when they don't learn the way *I* do.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level