tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 30 20:26:04 1997

Re: batleth (sp?)

ja' QatanI:
>chotIch ,  vaj paghbe' vISovbej.  tlhIngan Hol -- vItagh.

bItaghmo' qatIchbe'nISlaw'.  'ach bImISmo' qalughnISmoHlaw'.

I probably shouldn't insult a beginner, but maybe I should correct you.

"You insult me, thus I certainly know nothing-not."

This looks like you took my {vaj pagh DaSovbej} phrase and tried to turn
it around.  You got the verb prefix right, but I'm not sure why you left
the {vaj} there.  It makes me think my insulting you is the justification
or reason for your knowing something.

{-be'} is a verb suffix, and doesn't work to negate a noun like {pagh}.
If you mean "I certainly know something," say {vay' vISovbej}.

What is it you are beginning?  It's certainly not the Klingon language;
Marc Okrand already did that over a decade ago. :-)  Are you beginning
to *learn* Klingon?  There's a useful verb prefix for the idea of starting
to do something: try {tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH}.

>batlh Hutlh Daqawlu'taH !

Taking existing phrases and modifying them is a fine way to learn.  Here
you appear to have tried to negate {batlh Daqawlu'taH} by adding the word
{Hutlh}, but that's not appropriate here.  {batlh} is being used as the
adverbial "honorably", not as the noun "honor".  The idea "lack honor" is
not what needs to be said.  You should say {batlhHa' Daqawlu'taH} instead;
"You will be remembered dishonorably."

>(not so bat, huh?)

Your willingness to *use* the language is wonderful, and your errors are
a fine opportunity to learn.  If you aren't making mistakes, you probably
aren't writing enough. :-)

chotIch DaneHchugh, yIjatQo'.
bIghoj DaneHchugh, HItIchQo'.

-- ghunchu'wI'