tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 11:15:15 1997

Re: KLBC naDev jIchu'

>Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 07:03:36 -0800 (PST)
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)
>
>>I don't know that you could consider a direct quote to be a
>>truth. It may be a truthful statement, but it is not, in and of
>>itself a truth to be told. I could be wrong on this, but it just
>>doesn't feel right to pack a quotation into that definition.
>
>I'm willing to accept many words as verbs of saying.  English
>certainly permits one to get creative when quoting someone:
>  One of them barked, "Bring him."
>  "It wasn't me," I lied.
>  She spat out, "Leave.  Now."
>  "That used to be *my* gold mine!" he exclaimed.

Yeah, ENGLISH does.  Should Klingon?  No knowing; this one is probably
entirely a subjective decision at this point.  My tastes run with
charghwI''s here: for no good reason, I don't much like using vIt and its
ilk as verbs of saying, and would prefer using "ja'" and "vIt" separately.
Doesn't mean I'm right.

~mark

Back to archive top level