tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 12:48:13 1997

Re: understanding {-moH} (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

charghwI' wrote:

> >I'd be interested to know the difference you see in meaning
> >between {*jInguvmoH} and {vInguvmoHlu'}. I suggest there IS no
> >difference in meaning.

and ghunchu'wI' answered (as well as SuStel in a seperate post):
> Huh?  These seem *very* different to me.
> {jInguvmoH} "I cause to be painted" or "I paint"
> {vInguvmoHlu'} "one causes me to be painted" or "I am painted"

I think charghwI's reasoning goes more like

{nguvlu'} something is painted
{vInguvmoHlu'} I cause something to be painted

obviously this is at least ambiguous but wasn't the one example from
TKD with {-moHlu'} of a similar kind? I may misremember, though.

HomDoq

Back to archive top level