tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 10 07:04:38 1997

Re: plans

ghunchu'wI':

> Well, I'm not *completely* sure that a question can never be the object of
> another sentence.  But I haven't yet seen one that makes real grammatical
> sense, with the possible exception of questions using the {-'a'} suffix.
> Somehow, {yuch Soppu''a' puq 'e' vISovbe'} doesn't quite sound wrong, but
> {yuch Soppu' puq 'e' vISovbe'} seems to carry the same idea.

in the light of a recent suggestion by charghwI', I believe the first
sentence should rather be "Did the child eat the chocolate? I cannot
answer that." You still don't "know" the question.

Your second sentence, I'd translate as "I didn't know that the child ate
the chocolate.", because obviuosly, NOW you know, as you have stated it
as a fact.

HomDoq

Back to archive top level