tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 15 14:44:24 1997

Re: Must

SuStel said:
> Concerning the Klingon no-object prefixes, as per TKD pp.33-34:

oh-oh, that again :/

> This set of prefixes is also used when an object is possible, but unknown or
> vague.  [...] {maSop} "we eat" can be used to indicate a general act of
> eating, but not if a specific food is mentioned.
>
> If I understand your German example correctly, the object "something" is
> unknown or vague.  Thus, {maSopnIS} means "We need to eat something."  There
> really is no difference between this and "We need to eat" in English, except
> for the explicit mentioning of "something."  The word adds nothing; when you
> eat, you *must* eat something (hee hee!).

o.k. leaving English aside for the moment, this only proves (again)
that Klingon is less noun-centric than German, right?

> > I didn't say {-nIS} _emphasizes_ anything, I said it _modifies_ the whole
> > verb _including_ the prefix; as I quoted before, Type 2 verb suffixes
> > describe the choice or predisposition _of_the_subject_ to act.
> > _both_ subject _and_ action are described by them
> > (btw, by saying it modifies the prefix, I obviously extend this
> > modifying business to the _object_ as well, if one is specified)
>
> I'm not sure how this exactly helps things.  Actually, I don't see suffixes
> modifying the prefixes.  I see the prefixes as being the final step to
> creating a verb.  Think of the verb {quv}.  {jIquv}, {bIquv}, etc.  Now think
>
> of the verb {quvmoH}.  I don't think of this as "[I cause you] to be honored.
> "
>  I think of this as "I [cause to be honored] you."  Or the verb {Sop}.  I
> don't think of {jISopnIS} as "[I] need [to eat]," I think of it as "I [need t
> eat]."  Is this making sense?

yes, still I see a difference between {-moH} and {-nIS} there,
but I don't want to insist.

still, this seems another good reason, someone should check
my wotbuv stuff , hm?

HomDoq

Back to archive top level