tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 14 15:21:58 1997

RE: Must

jatlh HomDoq:

[Re: jISopnIS]
> I know that "I must eat" or "I need to eat" is the most literal
> translation; that doesn't mean it's the _best_, does it?
> I just happen to think "I need food" is 'better'. You're free
> to disagree, though.

I'd like to disagree, too.  There are many possible uses for food, besides
eating.  "I need food so I can give it to the poor."

{jISopnIS} is best translated as "I need to eat."  The phrase which would
yield "I need food" as its best translation is, of course, {Soj vIpoQ}.

vutwI' vIHIvmeH Soj vIpoQ!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian