tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 08:40:15 1997

Re: KLBC: Conversational Klingon

>Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>[email protected] on behalf of fonseca wrote:

>> vaj qaQaHnIS
>> 	(I need
>> you to help me).
>
>This is convoluted compared to what Klingon can do.  The most Klingon way to
>express this would be to issue a command: {HIQaH} "help me!" or even just
>shout {QaH} "help!"  The fully drawn-out version would be {choQaH 'e' vIpoQ}
>"I require that you help me," but why say this?

Yes.  "qaQaHnIS" means "You need to help me," not "I need you to help me,"
BTW.  Also, you are likely talking to more than one person, right?

>> How many/much guards are coming - mughoS 'avwe' 'ar
>
>{'avwI'} "guard"

I had thought this was "nughoS" btw.  Makes a certain amount of sense,
since unless the speaker is talking through a communicator, the guards are
presumably approaching both the speaker and the audience.

>[...]
>> I want to visit the dilithium mines - cha'puj tlhIlghagh vISuch vIneH
>
>cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
>
>I don't know if {tlhIlHal} is supposed to be one word or not, but again, it's
>hardly important.  It's "mineral source."

It's one word.  p.185.

~mark

Back to archive top level