tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 01 11:03:04 1997

Re: Must

According to Q'ISt'ova:

> On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Marian Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Just thought I'd throw in my own thought ... "must" doesn't always correlate
> > with "need to" exactly.  "Need to" seems to imply that for the person's
> > well-being, the person  needs to die.

I simply disagree. "Must" and "need to" both apply generally
toward some sort of goal. The goal is more important than any
individual. "If you want to get a driver's license, you need to
take the test." "If you want to understand what is going on
here, you must listen to me." "You must look both ways before
crossing the street." "You need to get your hand stamped before
you leave the concert."

In each of these, there is a mission of sorts which will suffer
if the advised action is not taken. It's the MISSION, not the
PERSON which is important.

> >"Must," in this context, doesn't mean
> > that -- in fact, it seems to imply that for the -speaker-'s well-being, the
> > person needs to die.
> > So, the best translation of that would be, I think, "yIHegh."
>
> I can't put my finger on the -suffix but I know it has something to do
> with beneficiary for benefactor of a certain action.

That's {-vaD} and I suggest that it mates with {-nIS} more
poorly than {-meH} or {-mo'}. If we ever get around to examples, I'll
show this.

> Perhaps something on
> the structure of "personal prefix (You) - verb "die" - suffix "need" -
> suffixes "beneficiary to ____" If you understand... If we are dealing on
> the "must" concept as being for the well being of others than that of the
> person in question... it should be translated roughly as "You need to die
> for ____"

The only good example for this I can think of is:

batlhvaD bIHeghnIS.

But think of others:

bortaS Danejmo' bISuvnIS!

bortaS DanejmeH bISuvnIS!

nom puchpa' vItu'nIS!

Soj DaneHchugh DaSuqmeH Daje'nIS. DaDIlnIS.

> Any thoughts?

reH law' qechwIj.

> Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
> Email: [email protected]
> URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

charghwI'

Back to archive top level