tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 13:18:13 1997

Re: Riker's use of nuqneH (was Dax & nuq Hech jIH)

> ja' janSIy:
> >Watch the scene again.  I remember seeing all that and being terribly
> >impressed that nuqneH had been used correctly.  K'Ehleyr has just arrived on
> >the ship.  Nobody knows what she's really doing there.[Riker says,]
> >"You have arrived on the Starship Enterprise.  What do you want?!"...

qathlo' to all of those who remembered the scene better than myself and/or took my
advice and watched it again.

ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> Commander Riker blurts out, in a VERY bad accent, "nookney kelagness."...
> Yes, {nuqneH} indeed would seem appropriate here.  She has appeared and
> merely identified herself, and has yet to explain her reason for being
> there.  But adding {qaleghneS} (or trying to) completely blows away the
> reasonableness of the response in my mind.  *Maybe* if it had been the
> other way around -- {qaleghneS. nuqneH.} -- it would seem okay.

DaH jIQochbe'.  It was a great place to use nuqneH, but it should have been said after
qaleghneS, or even better alone.  Or if they really wanted to get the -neS in there they
could have said, "nuq DaneHneS?" or "qatlh naDev SoHneS?"  But I guess that requires
just way too much knowledge of tlhIngan Hol!

janSIy

Back to archive top level