tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 08:07:02 1997

RE: KLBC: Rules for LaserQuest

jatlh qoror:

> ghItlh Banzai
> > We thought
> > it would be fun to translate these rules into tlhIngan Hol, so they are
> > submitted for any possible corrections.
> >
> > jIqetbe'.
> >   (I will not run.)<
>
> Yes, with no aspect suffixes future -is- a possibility, but when the
futureish
> verb is negated, there's the useful suffix "-Qo'." When used with a
> non-imperative prefix.  So:
>
> jIqetQo'.
>  (I won't run)
>
> You can do that with all the other "will nots."

This is exactly why one should not respond to KLBC questions before I, the
Beginners' Grammarian, has had a go first.  This is entirely wrong.  I am also
sending a response to Banzai's questions in another message, but here I will
address exactly what {-Qo'} means.

{-Qo'} has absolutely nothing to do with the future.  {-Qo'} indicates refusal
to do something.  Since when you refuse to do something, in English we often
say "I won't do that," Okrand used "won't" in the definition of {-Qo'}.  But
it does not mean future tense!!!

{jIqetQo'} really means "I refuse to run."  If that's what you mean, fine, but
if you simply mean "I will not run," you just say {jIqetbe'}

If you are using commands, imperative sentences, you are not allowed to use
{-be'}; you must use {-Qo'}.  This is just a rule, and also has nothing to do
with future tense.  Remember, there are no tenses in Klingon.

Please be sure to watch the subject line to see if the message is sent KLBC!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level