tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 20:09:36 1997

RE: KLBC-First Time

|> Mike Andrew wrote:
|
|> cha'maH loS ghepwIj
|> My age is 24.
|
|Hmmm . . . I don't know the word {ghep}.  I can't find it anywhere.

He extrapolated *ghep "age" from {nenghep} "Age of Ascension" and {peHghep}
"Age of Inclusion." Of course, *ghep could just as well mean a "watershed
event" or "significant time in one's life". Until we have more information,
we have to consider it a bound morpheme which can't be used on its own.

|> not Hubbeq vIbup!
|> I will never quit the Defense Force!
|
|This is good, although I wonder if {bup} means "quit, give up" or "quit
|(something)."  If the first, you haven't gotten it quite right.  Until we know
|more, however, this looks good.

{bup}  "quit" [defined on MSN as "to give up, or stop doing"]
        There are no examples of its use in canon. Other options include:

{mev}  "stop, cease" ["to cease doing" MSN]
{yev}  "pause" ["to halt one's actions or movements" MSN; also used in the
        sense of "take a break" in PK]
{jegh} "surrender," which can be used in the sense of "give up," as in
        abandoning a project (TKW p. 89)
{paj]  "resign"

|> mIq (Kli tranlation of my name?)
|> Mike
|
|That sounds more like the name "Mick."  A closer phonetic approximation of
|your name (which actually isn't possibly according to standard observed
|Klingon phonetics) is {mayq}.  Careful, though!  There's at least one other
|list member who calls himself {mayq}!  Why not take the time to invent a good
|Klingon name?

FWIW, in ST: Communicator #104, Okrand rendered the English name "Michael"
as {mayqel} -- as in the actors {mayqel 'anSa'ra} and {mayqel Do'rIn}.
SuStel is right, though. Why not choose a Klingon monicker of your own. It
doesn't have to translate your name or even mean anything in tlhIngan Hol.
Mine doesn't.

|--
|SuStel

-- Voragh