tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 18:04:16 1997

RE: KLBC "let's"

jatlh marqem:

> ghItlh SuStel:
> > > Let's do something ?
> > > as Let's drink
> >
> > For example, in Power Klingon, we hear {DaH matlhutlh} "We drink now"
> > for "Let's get a drink."  Usually in situations like this, it's pretty
obvious
> > that you're not saying "We are drinking now," since you're not holding a
> > cup in your hand yet.
>
>         [chovnatlhmey chel SuStel:]
>
> >     DaH juHDaq majaH.
> >     DaH verenganpu' DIHoH.
> >     HItlhej.

> We are forgetting the chuv (TKD p.57)
>         Ha'     Let's go! Come on!
>
> "Let's drink!" could be expressed as <matlhutlh! Ha'!>, except
> that that could be interpreted as <matlhutlhHa'!> [1]. So I prefer
> to put the exclamation first:
>         Ha'! matlhutlh!
> And I think we may have this in canon somewhere, but I ain't
> certain.

It's the same line.  The entire thing is {Ha'!  DaH matlhutlh!}  I didn't want
to focus on the {Ha'}, and I forgot to get back to it.  It lends to the idea
that we're going to go somewhere to do something, but I've often encountered
the "let's do something" idea which didn't require going anywhere.

Suppose we're in a crowded Klingon bar.  We've gotten our drinks and find a
table.  After the first round of drinking, I decide that I want to play "Eyes
of Kahless."

DaH qeylIS mInDu' wIQuj!
Now let's play Eyes of Kahless!

You wouldn't add {Ha'} to this one, because we're not going anywhere.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level