tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:05:13 1997

RE: KLBC: My first attempt

On Monday, March 10, 1997 11:52 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Jeroen
de Wijn wrote:

> Hello all.

Hi!

> I have just started with Klingon, and I'd like some feedback on how I
> am doing.

That's what I'm here for!

> tlhInganwIj vItob
> (I am testing my Klingon)

When referring to the Klingon Language, you must say {tlhIngan Hol}.  If you
just say {tlhIngan}, you mean a Klingon.  You're testing your Klingon, and
I'll bet he's getting angry with all that poking and prodding you're doing!

You can say {tlhIngan HolwIj vItob} "I am testing my Klingon (language)."  You
can even say {tlhIngan Hol laHwIj vItob} "I test my Klingon language ability."

> Qapla' jImughta'a'
> (Have I translated succesfully?)

{Qapla'} is a noun, not an adverbial, and cannot be used as such.  If you want
to talk about doing something correctly, absolutely perfectly, you can use the
verb suffix {-chu'}.  See TKD 4.2.6.

jImughchu'ta''a'?
Have I translated completely perfectly?

> jInIDta'
> (My attempts:)

Actually, It means "I have attempted (general object)."  I'd recommend you use
a specific object:

mu'tlheghmeyvam vInIDta':
I have attempted these sentences:

> qulwIj yIwov
> (Light my fire)

Oh, dear.  This is not meant to be taken literally.  You don't have a bunsun
burner underneath you.  Literally, what you said is "Be bright my fire."  What
you need to do is add the verb suffix {-moH} on there (see TKD 6.2.4).  Then,
it's {qulwIj yIwovmoH} "cause my fire to be bright."

But you don't really mean this.  Literally, you want something closer to

qulwIj yImeQmoH.
Make my fire burn.

> HochtlhuHmey Datlhap
> (Every breath you take)

Oh, no, not another one!  Okay, let's see.  "Taking" a breath is an English
idea, I doubt it works in Klingon.  Now, I don't know if one can use the verb
{tlhuH} to mean "breathe (something)," but let's try it:

Hoch tlhuH DatlhuHbogh
Every breath which you breathe.

Note that {Hoch} is a seperate word.  I don't know if this was a typo on your
part, or if you thought you were supposed to make a compound.  {Hoch} remains
apart.

Also, I used {-bogh}.  "Every breath you take" is not a complete sentence, and
neither is what I wrote in Klingon.  Look at TKD 6.2.3 to see how {-bogh}
works.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian