tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 07 16:32:36 1997

RE: KLBC-Basic Phrases

jatlh Jerryl Evanee:

> >> 2.  "Can I get you another item?"
>
> > {latlh} MEANS "another one," so you don't need to specify another what.
> Just say {latlh}.
>
>   But this would seem to mean another of the same thing; which is too
limiting.
> So, if I wanted to say "another item" or "something else" I would need to
> phrase it slightly differently, I think.

Then you've got to use context.  And to do that, I'll have to make some up!

Suy: nuqneH?

je'wI': betleH nIvqu' vIneHbej!

Suy: maj.  batlh bISuvba'.  Ha'.

Suy tlhej je'wI'.

Suy: naDev betleHmey nIvqu' tu'lu'.  yIwIv!

wa' wIv je'wI'.

je'wI': 'ar?

Suy: cha'maH DeQ.

SuyvaD DeQ nob je'wI'.

Suy: Doch cha'DIch Daje' DaneH'a'?

je'wI': ghobe'.

mej je'wI'.

See?  I avoided {latlh} altogether.  Instead, I said, "Do you want a second
thing?" which, given the circumstances, makes sense.  Other times, it might be
more appropriate to use {chu'}.  Sometimes you might just ignore {latlh}
altogether because it's not needed.  And sometimes the translation is going to
be tricky.

> >latlh DaneH'a'?
> >Do you want another?
>
>   But how would I add the opportunity to ask for an extra item?

What exactly do you mean?

je'wI': betleH vIje'bogh vIDubmeH Dochmey Dangev'a'?

> >batlh tlhIngan Hol DaHoDchoHta'!  majQa'!
>
>   "honour Klingon language you-Captain/change-it" "well done!"
>
>  I don't know what that first phrase would translate to.
> Is it a demand to honour the Klingon language by changing it? I have
> certainly done that with my first feeble interpretations, but that is hardly
> a good thing.
> And why am I a captain?

No, sorry, I made a boo-boo (not big enough for me to issue a Replacement
Proverb, I think; I'll wait to see if anyone stops and stares).  I meant
{HaD}, not {HoD}.

batlh tlhIngan Hol DaHaDchoHta'!  majQa'!

Remember, {batlh} is not only a noun, it's an adverbial.

> And why do I feel as if I have rather a lot of people snickering at me just
> now...

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level