tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 02 00:15:29 1997

Re: KLBC: New Words - magic, magician

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Steven Boozer wrote:

> I guess it depends on just what your tradition considers "magic" and what
> it considers "religion" (for which we do have a word: lalDan). One person's
> "spell" is another's "prayer" or "blessing." All of which, of course, is
> irrelevant to what the Klingons may believe--if anything. Any Wiccans care
> to add their cha' DeQ to this discussion?
>
> |SuSvaj
>

> -- Voragh

I wouldn't know where to start Klingon wise, but as far as the
English goes i could give you a brief insite into what occultist
describe as 'magick'.

Magick is usally refered to the as the unknown force in nature
that one can gain control of, via the training of the mind. This
is the tradional belief of such groups as Wiccans, Satanists and
other 'left handed paths'.

Groups such as the Golden Dawn believe that magick is the manipulation
of objects on higher astrals planes and the consiquences of these actions,
ie, if you spend a day thinking about and visualizing a single thing
in your mind, and then leave it and forget about it, that thing will occur
in the near future.

Magick also has the added complication of being a topic heading for a
number of sub classes, ie necromancy, controlling of the dead;
conjuration, summoning of demons and angles to do certain tasks;
geomancy, controling weather. The list is very long.

On the subject of witches, the word wiccan comes from an old English
word which means to bend, therefor a witch is a person who bends things,
most commonly the wills of others to do the bidding of the witch.
Although this most wiccans would not except this, due to the fact
that it implies that they are 'evil' in the eyes of the 'good' religions,
ie christianty.

I hope this has helped clarify the point that magic or magick is not a
single thing, that can be translated, but a name for a number of 'arts'
that themselves could be translated into Klingon.

eg necromancy could be Hegh SeHwI' or controler of the death/dead

I don't think i'm good enough at Klingon tho to start translating
any of these, and thats just an example.

If anyone wants a list of different magicks, i can prolly sort one
out.

'elren

Back to archive top level