tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 20:23:31 1997

Re: KLBC: Gramar Check

[email protected] on behalf of qarnoS wrote:

> Klingon: jIjeychoHta'DI' jIjegh
> English: I become defeated when I surrender

You've got some suffixes on the wrong verbs, and you've changed the meaning of
one of the verbs a bit.  Let's take a look at this.

The main point of the sentence is "I become defeated," or "I am defeated."
The "when I surrender" part is a subordinate clause, not the main idea.

So how do we say "I am defeated?"  Well, in Klingon {jey} means "defeat."  It
does NOT mean "be defeated," which is an entirely different idea.  The subject
of {jey} is the person who defeats someone else.

In "I am defeated," who is that someone else?  It's not specified; it doesn't
matter as long as *someone* defeated you.  This is accomplished by the Type 5
verb suffix {-lu'}.  (TKD section 4.2.5).

vIjeylu'
someone defeats me.

Now, when does this happen?  "When I surrender."  "At the moment that I
surrender, someone defeats me."  Using the Type 9 verb suffix {-DI'} "when, as
soon as," ON THE VERB MEANING "SURRENDER," we'll get this meaning.  (See TKD
6.2.2)

jIjeghDI'
as soon as I surrender

Now, we just put these together, in either order:

jIjeghDI' vIjeylu'

vIjeylu' jIjeghDI'

"As soon as I surrender, I am defeated."

Are you trying to pose a conditional?  Are you trying to say IF you surrender,
this will happen?  If so, you might be better off with using the Type 9 verb
suffix {-chugh} "if" instead of {-DI'}.

jIjeghchugh vIjeylu'

vIjeylu' jIjeghchugh

"If I surrender, someone will defeat me."

Which suffix you use depends on exactly what you meant.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level