tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 28 09:19:38 1997

Re: KLBC: Can I say this?

[email protected] on behalf of Nicholas Gurley wrote:

> Hmm. I was looking at the pong {call}, I think, way of saying the name, so
> I wonder, can you just say:
>
> *Nicholas* vIpong'egh. (Nicholas I call myself)

Since whenever you use {-'egh} you must also use a verb prefix which indicates
no object, you cannot have an object on this verb.  Instead, you must use a
different construction to show this.  We've seen how to do it in a SkyBox
card.

jIHvaD *Nicholas* vIpong
I call myself Nicholas.

Literally, it is "I name Nicholas, and I apply that naming to me."  (See TKD
3.3.5 on how to use {-vaD}.)

Just remember that in Klingon you cannot combine the reflexive and an object
together.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian