tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 06:29:51 1997

Confirmations

I won't post the whole thing now; I'm late for work as it is.  However . . .

>From Marc Okrand on the MSN board:

> You're right: QongDaq "could be a normal compound noun" -- but the
> important word there is "could":  It could be a compound noun IF both Qong
> and Daq are nouns.  We know that Daq "place" is a noun; we know that Qong
> is a verb ("sleep"); we don't know that Qong (presumably "sleep" or
> "sleeping") is a noun.   Maybe it is -- but until we see it as a noun in
> its own right (that is, in a place in a sentence where nouns occur and in a
> construction where it's not attached to Daq) will we know for sure.  Until
> that time, it's a good hypothesis, but not a done deal.

Yes!

> > We know verbs can be used as nouns  (not necessarily all...)
>
> I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this one.  [...] right now,
all we can say is that > there is a
> pair of words.  We don't know which developed from which (or if either or
> both developed form something else).   Though the pairs exist and cry out
> for explanation, until there is more study on the matter, I don't think one
> can argue that Klingon verbs (even if we're only talking about a small set
> of verbs) can be used as nouns (or vice versa).

Yes, yes!!

> > and Dr. Okrand continues to give us nouns that were once verbs (wov was
> clearly used in
> > the Hallmark commercial as a noun).
>
> I haven't seen the commercial in a while, but I don't think wov was used as
> a noun there.  Though the Klingons in the ad may have ad libbed a bit, the
> phrase the one Klingon was supposed to say regarding the little lights in
> the Bird of Prey ornament was:
>
> 	wovmoHbogh janHommey
>
> That is, "little devices that cause (something) to be light or bright" or
> "little devices that brighten (something)" or "little devices that light
> (something) up" or the like.   wov is a verb "be light, bright" followed by
> the suffix -moH "cause" (thus, "cause to be light").

YES, YES, YES!!!  {wov} is ***>>>NOT<<<*** a noun!!!  (At least, not from that
commercial.)

*Ahem*  Pardon me.

--
SuStel