tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 11:44:06 1997

Re: mu'mey vIneHbogh

According to [email protected]:

> In a message dated 97-06-17 08:41:56 EDT, ghunchu'wI' writes:
>
> << Let's be clear on this, peHruS: *you* have discussed how *you* don't
>  really know what {mup} means.  Its meaning is quite well-defined in
>  *my* mind.
>   >>

> Since it is so clear in your mind, would you care to share with me how you
> define {mup}?  Just when I thought I had {mup} pegged, MO used {qIp}.
>
> peHruS

I believe we have synonyms both in English and in Klingon.
While there may be fine shadings of difference between these
two words, I suspect that in many settings, they are
interchangeable.

{qIp} seems to be used like "hit" in English, where it either
refers to a physical impact, or to the successful assault on a
target with any directional weapon. I can walk up to you and
hit your shoulder with my hand, or I can take a high powered
rifle with a scope and crouch hundreds of yards away and hit
your shoulder.

{mup} seems to be used like "strike" in English where there is
less of a sense of successfully assaulting a target with a
weapon and more focus on the physical impact. Meanwhile, "hit"
and "strike" are rather synonymous in English just like {mup}
and {qIp} are apparently synonymous in Klingon.

The "F-15 Eagle Strike" is not named after a glancing blow.
There are no pure, inviolable uses of these two words. I'm
amazed that this thread still lives. I'm almost embarrassed to
be contributing to it continuing, since I'm SURE this will
inspire several more responses... None of this is probably
worthy of excessively focussed attention.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level