tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 17 15:24:57 1997

Re: Adjectives WAS RE: KBLS: Storm

According to Neal Schermerhorn:

> ghItlh SuStel:
>
> >Assuming {jev} means "storm (v)" as in weather, it's not a qualitative verb.
> It cannot be used adjectivally. You must use a relative clause. {nujon jevbogh
> tat 'eng!}
>
> I won't argue with the sentence you give - it is entirely correct, and is
> better than mine. But this opens a can of qaghmey - what exactly can be used
> adjectivally?...
>
> Now, what about moD (v) hurry? moDbogh loD = man who hurries is OK if we mean
> this in a general sense. But what if I want to specify the fact that the man I
> am referring to is the one whose present state is that of hurrying? Why not
> say loD muD = hurrying man?
>
> loD muD yIpuS 'ej yIbaH!   Sight the hurrying man and fire!

Nothing in TKD gives the slightest hint that this could be
valid, and we have a canon example to the contrary. A thousand
throats can be cut by a running man. Okrand did not use *loD
qet*. He used {qetbogh loD}, exactly as we would expect him to.

You have no argument.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level