tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 04 01:17:03 1997

Re: jajlo'

Alan Anderson wrote:

> > QetlhIS wrote:
> >IMHO (as little as it counts), if i can speak "Hol", I should also
> >be able to place a different object there, which is as equally an
> >abstraction of the quoted (just more specific), as is "Hol" an
> >abstraction of anything quoted.
>
> That's pushing it a bit, I think.  {jatlh} appears to have the meaning
> "speak (a language)" as well as an intransitive "speak [use voice]".
> We've never seen it take anything other than a language as its object;
> any time its used as a verb of saying, the person addressed has been
> identified with {-vaD}.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

The person addressed being addressed as vaD in lack of an indirect
object is just fine. But i still don't see why I can place one noun
there, and another noun not. I don't see how those are looked upon
differently. Perhaps I'm missing something?

QetlhIS

Back to archive top level