tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 20:22:58 1997

Re: Portuguese TKD

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

|No Brazilians coming this year that I'm aware of.  The copies of the
|"PKD" are being sent up by some Star Trek fans in Brazil, in exchange
|for an assortment of books of equal value which I will be mailing back.
|
|I am astounded at the cost though, approximately twice what the
|equivalent book costs here.

Lawrence, when you get them you'll have to check the preface and see if
Okrand had any input at all in the translation. Was he in contact with the
translator (to answer questions about the meaning of the Klingon)? Did he
get a chance to read and the final translation? I know Okrand knows Spanish
(cf. his dissertation on Mutsun), so reading Portuguese shouldn't be much
of an obstacle -- particularly for a Ph.D. in linguistics. <g>

Speaking of foreign TKDs, have you ever managed to locate a copy of the
rumored German translation?

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level