tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 31 22:23:13 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

[email protected] on behalf of Robyn Stewart wrote:

> onomatopoiea
> tlhutlh
> tlhuH
> 'oy'

This is more like a Yiddish joke, though it can also be considered an
onomatopoeia.

> 'aw'
> ghagh
> voQ
> HIq (a hiccup)
> tlhup

You think {tlhup} is an onomatopoeia?

> ghup

Oooh, there's LOTS more than that!

A few:

SuS
yay'
SIS
yIH
yIQ
pIw
'argh
'ugh
'uH

Note that these are *Klingon* onomatopoeias, (onomatopoeii?), not necessarily
human ones.  {'IH} and {'Iw} would not appear on this list, for example.

These are kinda hard to think of offhand, but they're my favorites.

> probably just me
> moD - There is a band called Depeche Mode and depeche means hurry in
> French.

Hmmm . . . you might be onto something.

> tut - Tutankhamen - king of an ancient culture that didn't use
> columns, but which Qov studied in the same grade as she studied Greek
> history.

Definitely just you.

> Sab - Saab - car my friend once bought for a dollar that
> turned out to be worth at least ten times that

No just you.  At this year's qep'a' I meant to ask Marc Okrand if he ever had,
or knew someone who had, an old Saab in need of repair.  Unfortunately, I
forgot.  Perhaps I'll post that question to MSN . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level