tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 29 20:35:02 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:23:08 -0700 (PDT)  Robyn Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:

> People seem to want a list of joke words or possible joke words or
> words with silly mnemonics...

Here's my comments for what they are worth [charghwI']

> Klingon word - word reminiscent of - explanation
>
> baS - bash - sound that metal makes when you hit it

I thought instead of "base metal".

> nop - NOP - assembler instruction that represents no operation

Nice, but Okrand isn't really the computer type. I think "nope",
which is American slang for "no".

> waq - whack - think Krushchev

I think "walk", which is what I do in shoes.

> mung - monkey - controversial point in Darwin's Origin of Species

I think "mung bean" from which the plant grows.

> mon - moan - opposite

Or Mona Lisa. Is she smiling? mon'a'?

> be' - babe

Or just negative. {{:)>

> toD - toad - needs kissing to be rescued from evil spell

Or "towed". Rescued from a dead car.

> lay' - lie - opposite

Opposite? Not in MY experience it's not!

> probably just me
> moD - There is a band called Depeche Mode and depeche means hurry in
> French.

Cool.

> Whatever.
>
> - Qov

Any advice you give to help memorize vocabulary is worth listing
to, since you clearly have a better grasp of the vocabulary than
the vast majority of us.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level