tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 17 21:26:14 1997

Re: What does "..." mean?

ghItlh Qeygh:

>Perhaps something like "*xyz* vIyaj chay' 'e' DaHech?" or "*xyz* vIyaj
>chay' net Hech?" would be better.
>The intent here is "How do you intend that I understand *xyz*?" or "How am
>I meant to understand *xyz*?" -- I don't claim to be fluent, so I may have
>botched this pretty badly.

ghobe' - maj! You said exactly what you intended to say, even though it feels
uncomfortable to me. The grammar is fine!

Another approach is to use apposition.

tlhIngan HolvaD mu' *xyz* vIjatlh vIneHchugh, nuq vIjatlh?
If I want to say the word xyz in Klingon, what do I say?

Or even more simply -

chay' tlhIngan HolvaD mu' *xyz* vIjatlh?
How do I say the word xyz in Klingon?

Notice that the mu' *xyz* is understood to not be possesion trhu context - it
simply would not make sense.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level