tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 20:59:05 1997

Re: More New Words!

Note that there is yet another version of the New Words List at
ftp.kli.org \incoming which includes the correction of
{wagh}=expensive, {waH} and {mum} being new words.

I can tell that this wonderful new communication is going to
keep me busy...

charghwI'

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:48:34 -0700 (PDT)  Neal Schermerhorn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> charghwI' posted a question to MO on the MSN BBS a while back - since he is
> apparently traveling, I will post it here for him.
>
> >Marc,
> >
> > On Conversational Klingon, you used a word for "expensive" and there have
> > been arguments as to whether this word was {waH} or {wagh}. Could you
> > settle this once and for all? It is not so much that it matters which it is
> > so long as we all use the same word and stop arguing about it.
>

> And here is MO's response - oh boy!
>
> >I hope this word isn't overly expensive (that is, I hope nobody has
> >anything riding on my answer), but here's the deal.
> >
> >{wagh} is "be expensive."
> >
> >{waH} means "try out, use (experimentally)" and it is also the word used
> >for "taste" in the sense of trying out food to see if it's prepared
> >properly or to find out if you like it.  Another verb, {mum}, means "taste"
> >in the sense of "perceive flavor(s)."  Thus, the English sentence "I taste
> >the gagh" (if "gagh" can be properly used in an English sentence) may be
> >translated into Klingon in two ways:
> >
> >	qagh vImum "I perceive the gagh's flavor"  (qagh "gagh," vImum "I taste
> >it")
> >
> >	qagh vIwaH "I try out the gagh [to see how it tastes]" (vIwaH "I taste
> >it")
> >
> >(If you're not a Klingon but plan on tasting gagh, by the way, I suggest
> >you find a good restaurant and stick to {qagh wagh} "expensive gagh.")
>
> mu'mey chu' vIparHa'! Dun!
>
> Qermaq

Back to archive top level