tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 14:31:08 1997

Re: Stomp Box

> >> "Stomp Box"
> >> by They Might Be Giants
> >>
> >> *Stomp Box* qechwIj yIjatlh       | Stomp Box speak my thought
> >> ramvo' ghoghmeyvetlh yIyIb        | Vent these voices from the dark
> >
> >TKD has *yIb* as a noun only.
>
> bIlugh. I looked in TKD, and it lists {yIb} as a noun. I have been using
> _pojwI'_ to learn tlhIngan Hol, and it lists {yIb} as a verb. Oops.
>
> How should I re-cast this line?

The context of this sentence makes me think that "release" would work in
place of "vent".  Perhaps *joHa' * would work in this capacity.

> >> jach jach jach jach               | Shout Shout Shout Shout
> >> 'oH yIjach                        | Scream it out
> >> ghItlhlIj yIQaw'                  | Blast your missive
> >> mu'mey ghajbe'bogh Qumghach yIja' | Tell the wordless message
> >

> >We're not supposed to use *ghach* on non-suffixed verbs, so*Qumghach*
would
> >be taboo.  You might try avoiding using a noun here all together.  For
> >example:
> >
> >	 	bIQumDI' mu'mey tIlo'Qo'
> >
> >		"When you communicate don't use words."
>
> I based my decision to use {-ghach} on the examples in TKD (p. 176):

It's not that you are 100% wrong here, TKD is a little ambiguous on this
point.  Okrand later clarified the issue in HolQeD issue #11, p10.  In a
nutshell, *ghach* is best used on suffixed verbs.  If it is used on verbs
without suffixes, it is considered unusual or "highly marked" as Okrand put
it.

> Also, can you suggest a word for "message"?

I might recast the sentence using *De' *, such as:

		De' tam yIjatlh  "Speak the silent information."

I think silent works well here too, and is simpler than constructing a way
to say "wordless".

Back to archive top level