tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 15:06:32 1997

RE: KLBC: Questions & Announcement

January 24, 1997 8:46 AM EST, jatlh Daw'ut:

> DaqwIj Danaw'lI'
> You are accessing my site. ( as in web_site_ )

maj.

> tlhIngan SoH'a' pagh tera'ngan SoH'a'
> Are you a Klingon or are you a Terran?

This is grammatically all right.  I have problems, though, with joining two
questions together.  Here's a quick analysis of my logic:

Either (yes or no) or (yes or no).

How does one answer such a question (the logic, not the example)?  It's
"nesting" answers.  I'd much prefer to make it two questions:

tlhIngan SoH'a'?  tera'ngan SoH'a'?  mutlIj yIngu'!

Of course, this is not official, it's just my opinion.

> tlhIngan SoHchugh vaj bIratlhjaj
> If you are Klingon then you may remain.

{-jaj} does not indicate permission; it is used to make a wish or a curse.  To
show permission, you can use the verb {chaw'}:

tlhIngan SoHchugh vaj bIratlh 'e' vIchaw'.
If you are a Klingon then I will allow you to remain.

> tera'ngan SoHchugh vaj nom bItlheDnIS
> If you are Terran then you must depart quickly.

maj.

> DaqwIj DatIvchugh vaj juppu'lI' Daja'
> If you enjoy my site then tell your friends.

If it's a command, you need the imperative prefix:

vaj juppu'lI' yIja'.

> vay' chotlhob bIneHchugh vaj jabbI'ID chongeH
> If you want to ask me something then send me a data transmission.

This gets into the murky waters of using object nouns with prefixes which seem
to indicate *other* objects, and also what sort of object you can use with
{tlhob}.  For now, I'll say that it *might* be right, for some speakers.

> pIj DaqwIj vIchoH vaj pIj DaqwIj DaSuch
> I alter my site often so visit my site often.

In Star Trek V, Klaa says {HIvHe yIchoHmoH} "Alter the attack course!"  (And
let's not, for now,  talk about whether {HIv} can be used as a noun or not . .
.)  Therefore, {choH} indicates that the *subject* is being changed.

Also, you need an imperative prefix again.

pIj DaqwIj vIchoHmoH vaj pIj DaqwIj yISuch.

> DaqwIj yIlaD 'ej DaqwIj yItIv
> Read my site and enjoy my site.

maj.

> I also have been wondering about John M. Ford's Klingonaase.
> I can accept that Ford's Klingonaase is an alternate dialect from a previous
> Chancellor/Emperor or some remote colony of the Empire or something like
> that, so my questions are more reality-based.  I understand that he is the
> author of an influential novel involving the pre-Okrand Klingon language,
but
> who is he and what makes him qualified to rival Dr. Marc Okrand as the
> creator of the Klingon language?  Why should/would anyone continue to use
> this unofficial language now that Okrand has provided an official structured
> language for the Klingons (not to mention the Vulcans)?
> Were Ford, and the creator of the "Kardassi" language, sanctioned by
> Paramount?  If not, why should we care about their unofficial languages?  As
> an aspiring science-fiction writer myself, if I "create" the Pakled or
> Yridian language in a novel will everyone start studying and using it?

I often find myself agreeing with those who'd like to see more of Klingonaase,
and other Trek languages (although I'll admit that I've never read Ford's
book).  I don't have any problem believing that there can be more than one
Klingon language.  In fact, I'd be surprised if there weren't!  I'm not
talking about dialects here, but distinct languages.  I even find study of
pseudo-Klingon words like "par'mach" interesting and valuable (although I
don't believe in the reckless abandon some people would use in adding these
words to their vocabularies).

I am somewhat baffled by the need in recent years to have "official" sources.
Ford's Klingons are not the "official" Klingons, but does this mean that
they're a dead-end road?  If you can read his book and enjoy it, and perhaps
think about it a little, then what's the harm in that?

However, I certainly do NOT advocate saying that any words having to do with
Klingons are automatically {tlhIngan Hol}.  That'd be like a Klingon hearing a
French word and thinking that the word is English, since it was spoken by a
Terran.

One of these days, I'll read _The Final Reflection_, and I hope I'll enjoy it.
 I'll certainly find the language interesting.  But it's only a fictional
race!  Yes, really!  So what does it matter what's "official"?  As long as you
don't start claiming that some Paramount script writer who makes up words can
just go and add to "scientifically established" {tlhIngan Hol}, I don't mind
at all what words they come up with.

I don't know if I'm saying this very well.  It's a muddy subject, given the
popular sophisticated fiction of today.  "Official is not all."

> SuStel, how long should I continue to address my posts to you?  At what
point
> is that not required? I realize that I am still on the beginner level, but
> don't to want burden you any longer than necessary.

You don't need to address your posts to me, except by putting "KLBC" in the
subject.  I'll help you with your grammar (hopefully, you'll try writing
conversations, not just sentences), and answer specific questions, but the
general content of your posts are open to responses by anybody.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level