tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 18:57:18 1997

RE: KLBC: Vulqan Hol

January 14, 1997 4:31 AM EST, jatlh Mago:

> *http://www.ludwig.ucl.ac.uk/st/StarTrek/Vulcan/Vulcan.html*-Daq vulqan Hol
jabbI'ID Daq vItu'pu' 'ej Daj

> ("I've found a Vulcan language page at
http://www.ludwig.ucl.ac.uk/st/StarTrek/Vulcan/Vulcan.html and it's
interesting")

This is pretty good.  I'd recommend one change: say {vulqangan Hol} instead of
{vulqan Hol}.  It's the language of the Vulcans, not of their planet.  And we
don't say {Qo'noS Hol}.  Still, this is just a suggestion.

> 'ach tlhIngan Hol Hachlaw' law' vulqan Hol Hachlaw' puS

With law/puS, there's no evidence to suggest that you can put suffixes on the
quality verb.  You *can* say something like {'ach tlhIngan Hol Hach law'
vulqangan Hol Hach puS 'e' vIQub}.  "But I think that the Klingon language is
more developed than the Vulcan language."

> ("however, the Klingon language seems to be more developed than the vulcan
languaje is"
> Of course, here I am uncertain whether {Hachlaw'} is right... I know
Klingons are never approximate, but I'd like to know if this can be done, or,
at least, if it's not TOO wrong ;)! )

Ah.  You were aware of the problem.  Good!

> (vulqan Hol vIHaDbe'taHmo' "Hachlaw'" vIjatlh)

> ("(I say "seems to" because I'm not studying the vulcan languaje)")

When quoting something, you don't use the quotation as the object.  As
described in TKD section 6.2.5, the quotation is stuck on either end of the
sentence with the verb of saying.  Since this is the case, there is no object,
and you would use {jI-}.

vulqangan Hol vIHaDbe'taHmo' <Hachlaw'> jIjatlh

or

vulqangan Hol vIHaDbe'taHmo' jIjatlh <Hachlaw'>

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level