tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 04 14:54:09 1997

RE: KLBC: practice dialogue

January 03, 1997 6:58 PM, jatlh Caryn Law:

> One question: do you use the question mark after Klingon questions, or
> is the question word or suffix sufficient?

This is in the FAQ: http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html

Here's the short version:

Since our ASCII version of "spoken" Klingon is not really the Klingon writing
system, go ahead and use whatever punctuation you think will help.

> ('avwI'pu' DataH cha' tlhinganpu')

Is there some reason you didn't just say {'avtaH cha' tlhInganpu'}?

> 1: net nuq?

{net} means the same thing as {'e'}: it refers to "that," meaning the previous
*sentence*.  Since you're not referring to a sentence, but a noise, you cannot
use {net}.

vay' vIQoy.  nuq 'oH?
I heard something.  What was it?

Looking ahead, I see you've already got this later.

Here's an idea: if you use the word {chay'} "how?" by itself as an
exclamation, it means "What's going on?"  Klingon #1 might say {chay'?}

> 2: nuq?

{nuq} is asking for a *thing*.  If you ask {chay'?}, you cannot really say
{nuq}.  In English, saying "What?" by itself often means the same thing as
"huh?" which might be translated as {nuqjatlh?}.  But perhaps this isn't how
you mean it.  Argh!  This story is too vague!!

> 1: vay' vIQoypu'.

Note that {-pu'} is perfective, not past tense.  When you say {vIQoypu'}, you
are saying (in this context), "As of right now, I have already heard it."  The
same idea would be conveyed if you simply said {vay' vIQoy}.  It would be
translated as "I heard something."  The context tells you that this is what
you mean.  Your sentence is not wrong, but it may be focusing on the
perfective when it doesn't need to.

> 2: vIQoypu'be'.

Literally, again, this means "As of the present moment (context tells us
this), I have not completed hearing something."  Again, a simpler sentence
would simply be {vIQoybe'} "I did not hear it."

For more on aspect, see the FAQ.

You don't need the word "anything."  What you really mean is "I didn't hear
whatever it is that you're referring to," and that's exactly what context
tells us you meant!

> 1: yIjaH 'ej yInej!

Instead of {nej}, a better word might be {Sam}.  {nej} just means "search,"
but {Sam} means "seek and locate."  Surely, that's what #1 wants #2 to do!

> (nej tlhingan cha' 'ej chegh ghaH.)
> 1: toH, nuq Daleghpu'?

Now, here {-pu'} might be more appropriate.  The action is obviously done, and
he's asking "What have you seen?"  Still, {nuq Dalegh} would do just fine.
It's really a matter of emphasis.

> 2: pagh vIleghpu'.

There's no need for word-for-word translations.  Pick the best wording to
convey the *idea*.  {pagh} does this perfectly.  You still don't need a word
for "anything."

> 1: ngemDaq ghoSlu'!

That's an interesting use of {-lu'}.  I can't say it's wrong, but I'd favor
using a subject {vay'} here.  You've been using it to refer to this mysterious
thing all along, so why not continue.

Also, this says "Something approaches towards the forest!"  What you want is
{ngemvo' ghoS vay'!}  "Something is coming from the forest!"  (Or {ngemvo'
ghoSlu'}).

> (Hagh tlhingan cha'.)

I try not to worry about the occasional mis-capitalized {I}, but this is the
third time I've noticed . . .

The word in spelled {tlhIngan}, not {tlhingan}.  In Klingon, you must always
capitalize the {I}s.  It's kind of a stupid rule, as it accomplishes nothing,
but there it is.

> 2: vIlegh'a'? targh neH chIllu'pu'bogh!

This is "Do I see it?" not "Do you see."  However, I don't think that
{Dalegh'a'} would be a particularly appropriate expression.  Usually, it's
used as an idiom in English.  While in this case the Klingons actually ARE
seeing something, I'd still avoid it.

They have made a discovery.  A particularly useful expression at this time is
{toH!} "Aha!"

Nice work with {targh neH chIllu'pu'bogh}!  This time, the aspect suffix is
especially appropriate!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian