tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 02 17:20:35 1997

RE: KLBC - help 1rst attempt

January 02, 1997 12:13 AM, jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> > > I would like to say: "Engage and destroy alien craft" in Klingon.

> 	Okay! My TKD did not arrive yet, but I'll try anyway.
> 	The obect is the enemie craft, so "Duj jagh"

"Enemy" is not a verb (and cannot be used adjectivally like this).  It is a
noun.  But if you say "enemy's ship" or "ship of the enemy," you say {jagh
Duj}.

> 	The verbs are engage and destoy, so "chu' 'ej Qaw'"

{chu'} means "engage, activate a device," not "engage, begin fighting."  This
is the wrong verb.

The word for "fight" is {Suv}.  If the act of fighting is just starting, you
can add the Type 3 verb suffix {-choH} "change in state, direction."
{SuvchoH} means "he begins to fight."

> 	The subject is an imperative form  "yI"

Imperative prefixes go on the *VERB*, not the noun!!

> For first instance, something like:  "yIDuj jagh chu' 'ej Qaw'"

You've got the sentence order right, though.  Good.  Here's the sentence, with
my above corrections:

jagh Duj yISuvchoH 'ej yIQaw'
Engage the enemy ship and destroy it.

> But my problem are the suffixes.

Actually, your main problem was with the *prefix*.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level