tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 16:09:55 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy [James]

James Coupe jang Qov:
>> So would *wIta'ta'DI'* be an acceptable translation for
>> "Afterwards" at the start of a sentence?
>
>In many cases, yes.

But remember that it still *means* "as soon as we have accomplished it."
"Afterwards" will often be a good translation, but try not to get too
attached to a specific word-for-word substitution.

>> jIquvmoHHa''eghta'
>
>The suffixes here are all scrambled.  Have another look at the
>section on {-Ha'} and then rearrange your suffixes into the correct
>order.

Well......

{quvmoH} has its own entry in the dictionary.  Unless one notices that
it's a straighforward {quv} + {-moH} "cause to be honored", one could
put {-Ha'}, then {-'egh} and {-ta'} on it in its entirety without any
trouble.

But since Marc Okrand has confirmed that most of what look like verbs
plus suffixes listed in the dictionary indeed are verbs plus suffixes,
we know that {quvmoH} isn't an inseparable verb.  If you want to add
more suffixes to it, you have to recognize that it already has {-moH}
on it, and the other suffixes have to go in the right spot.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level