tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 13:44:20 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

In article <[email protected]>, Philippe Lavoie
<[email protected]> writes

>Maybe I should drop the tables... or make my own. Would it be ok
>to distribute a modified chart for suffix and prefix ? (copyright,
>and legal blah blah blah).
>
>Which also brings the question, how can you copyright a language ?
>
>Phil

You don't, exactly.  It's just that, in the same way as Paramount
Pictures own the copyright on that when used in the context of films, TV
and the like, they would also own the copyright on all the Klingon words
since they invented all of them.

Copyright is a pain (especially international copyright) but they would,
AFAIK and IANAL, own the copyright on them only in the area of the
Klingon Language (I may be wrong and American law may be different) and
you could use them in something completely unrelated without incurring
their wrath.

But big companies can get away with a lot nowadays (White Wolf released
an RPG called Aeon (with the a and e joined together), MTV got annoyed
and said they were doing a film of Aeon Flux and threatened to sue or
something like that.  White Wolf, just to get sutff going quickly,
agreed to change the name to Trinity).

--
James Coupe

Back to archive top level