tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 06:41:48 1997

Re: [KLBC] wo' mung

mujang Qov:
>}>3. Letters are not dropped if doubled, or if hard to say next to one
>}>another. {chaw'} + {'egh} = {chaw''egh} NOT {*chaw'egh}.  (Nitpickers
>}>can think of one exception to this rule, but let's not confuse the
>}>issue).
>}
>}Awww, can't we confuse it just a little?  Please?  ;-)
>
>bIqoy'mo' vIchaw'.  yImISmoH.

qatlho'neS.  qarlu'chu' 'e' vIqap.

After all, accuracy *is* one of the core Klingon values (from PK). :-)

Sometimes we see in the dictionary an apparent compound noun made from
the name of a planet or region plus the word {ngan} "inhabitant".
When the name ends with the letter {n}, it looks like it gets dropped.

For example:
  {vulqan} "Vulcan (planet)", {vulqangan} "Vulcan (person)"
  {'orghen} "Organia", {'orghengan} "Organian".

But, as Qov said before she listed what she called "empirical parsing
rules" for syllables, this is *not* really a "rule".  It is merely an
observation.  (Even if we had more than a couple of examples of this,
and no counterexamples, we still couldn't reliably apply it backwards
to infer that {verengan} "Ferengi" means that Ferenginar, the Ferengi
homeworld, is called {veren} in Klingon.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level