tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 17:59:17 1997

Re: N,S,E,W

numerous people wrote:
>: ps how about using sunrise and sunset (in whatever order) to represent
>: East and West...

>Except that we don't have words for "sunrise" or "sunset" either -- or even
>"sun" (most people just use {Hov} or {Hovmaj}) -- just the verbs "ascend"
>{Sal} and "descend" {ghIr}.  Besides, how do you know that the Homeworld
>even rotates in the same direction as Earth?  If the planets in the Kronos
>system rotate in the opposite direction from our own, then the Klingon sun
>would rise in the "West".

>Well, no. The astronomical definition of East and West is based on the
>direction of rotation: the North pole of a body
>is the one whose rotation is counterclockwise when you look down
>on it from space. The other directions follow
>logically from that.

>Let me suggest here a set of terms for the cardinal directions, based
>on the sun's apparent daily path through the sky:
>
>	west	pemHov 'et
>	east	pemHov 'o'
>	north	pemHov nIH
>	south	pemHov poS

>maybe one can use
>
>pemHov He poS (lurgh)      for south and
>pemHov He nIH (lurgh)      for north
>
>at least to me they are independent of the latitude and they are shorter
>than, e.g.
>
>Sal pemHov 'e' bejbogh nuv poS (lurgh)    for north
>Sal pemHov 'e' bejbogh nuv nIH (lurgh)    for south

************

people are not going to want to use long sentances or even phrases (pemHov
He poS lurgh) especially considering clipped klingon.
If they did use something like:
>	west	pemHov 'et
>	east	pemHov 'o'
>	north	pemHov nIH
>	south	pemHov poS
I'm sure after a while they would drop the repetitive <pemHov> part and just
use 'et 'o' nIH poS.  But that would only be if everyone used and understood
those terms in that sense.

"head toward the sunrise"... does it matter which way the planet is
rotating? Either way you're heading toward the sunrise.  If you head to the
left of the sunrise, whether it be labeled north or south, you are still
heading left of the sunrise; which, yes, would also be the same as heading
right of the sunset.
  Traveling from one planet to the next, one rotating one way and the other
rotating the other way doesn't matter, the sunrise, which ever side its on,
could be used as a reference point.  On earth it just so happens that the
sunrise would be **translated** as east.

Hov'a' Sal
Hov'a' ghIr

used in context, both parties unstanding that the topic is direction, this
could be shortened to just Sal and ghIr.

I used the suffix -'a' (Hov'a') to distinquish the sun from other stars.
Whatever planet you're on, somewhere its got a star that *appears* bigger
and brighter; while viewed from that planet could be refered to as a Hov'a'
(if it's a dead planet and doesn't have a Hov'a', you wouldn't be there).

(* or maybe there are single word terms for directions but matlh just hasn't
told us yet)

USE CONTEXT

DloraH

Back to archive top level