tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 03 19:30:19 1997

Re: tlhoghtay II

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: tlhoghtay II

>And while I have my notes out, here are a few more bits of wedding-related
>parHol from "You Are Cordially Invited":

Remember, though, that we don't know how much of this occurs in general
Klingon culture, and how much of it is just the tradition of the House of
Martok.

>ma'staka clubs - padded (?) pugil sticks those on the "Path of Kal'hyah"
>carry with them on their journey. At the end of the actual marriage
>ceremony, those on the Path get to attack the groom with them for reasons
>that are obscure (at least to me).

Just after Kahless and Lukara were married, they were attacked.  The ones
with the clubs symbolically represent the attackers, and the groom and bride
represent Kahless and Lukara.  (Does EVERYTHING in Klingon culture date back
to Kahless?!?  Doesn't ANY Klingon start new traditions?!?)  Perhaps you
mean you do not understand what being on the Path of Kal'hyah has to do with
symbolically representing Kahless' attackers; I also do not see why.

>the Bre'nan ritual - has something to do with the bride holding two heavy
>(fire?) pots out at arms length while reciting something arcane

I have no trouble accepting the cry of {no' Hol} in this instance.

SuStel
Stardate 97922.5

Back to archive top level