tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 31 07:13:02 1997

Re: Two more Okrandian puns

Steven L. Boozer wrote:

> {jey'naS}  "double headed ax" (n)
>
> Janus was the ancient Roman god of doorways, beginnings, and the rising and
> setting of the sun. He was usually represented as having one head with two
> bearded faces back to back, looking in opposite directions. Patron of the
> month of January (which was named after him), he could both look back to
> the year just ended as well as forward to the year to come.

Oooooh!  Nice catch.  I've forgotten most of my mythology, but I don't
think I'd have remembered that one anyway.

> {lul}      "fight, battle (relatively major fight)" (v)
>
> Of course, to "lull" (to soothe or quiet, to let up or subside) is the
> opposite of fierce, intense fighting.

I thought of this one, especially since the others in the string include
{tlhaS} "clash" and {vIy} "vie".  We just need to figure out {Qor} and
{Hargh} (although {Hargh} could come from "Armageddon", which Marc
compares it to).

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level